Friday, October 2, 2015

Clover Valley Farms Projects

I often think of the amazing experience I had as the live-in Intern at Clover Valley Farms. I want to share the many projects we worked on over the course of the 2013 summer, one of which, the farm blog I kept, helped me launch this project! 


Animals: Poultry, Hogs, Turkeys, Layers, Bees

We raised about 300 Cornish Cross Broiler and Red Broilers and 50 turkeys. These happy animals were kept in 10x10 pens moved daily for new forage. The turkeys took over one of the orchards for the last part of their lives. At about 10 weeks they were processed and sold on site. In addition to meat birds we had laying hens. A couple dozen eggs were collected twice daily and sold to friends and neighbors.


   


The hogs arrived small, feisty, and shy. They were also part of a rotational pasture system, allowing them to forage in new territory once they had nearly dug their current one up. These were my favorite buddies, if you can tell by the picture of me joining in their wallow.


  

Integrated Pest Management (IPM) at UMDuluth Natural Resources Research Institute (NRRI): I helped Cindy with her IPM project, tracking pests in CVF and UMD orchards to inform more environmentally responsible pest control practices.


The Garden: beans, greens, squash, potatoes, corn, onions, cucumber, garlic, tomatoes, zucchini, radish, peas...you name it, we probably had it!



The Greenhouse: Cilantro, dill, parsley, mint, oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme. Herbs were harvested fresh for meals, dried for herb mixes, and used to infuse homemade vinegars!





Fruit: 3 apple orchards, grapes, high bush cranberry, juneberry, currants, gooseberry, wild berries

    


Planting & Pulling: The berm in front of the greenhouse was cleared and planted with a variety of fruit bushes! I also helped plant a new orchard with 3 varieties of apple for a total of 50 new trees.
     
  

Cooking... And Eating!!!

Wildlife: Readers who are unfamiliar with Minnesota, the northern part of the state has a very unique and spectacular biome that supports diversified flora and fauna.


Old Fashioned Bartering: Cindy and Jeff would trade goods with friends for things like this beautiful handmade crock!

Dog Training: Honey joined us during my time there so I learned some serious dog discipline

Other Adventures: Community events, Great Lakes Aquarium, bike rides, hikes, Lake Superior swimming!
  
Thanks for reading! 

2 comments:

  1. Kristin, you were an awesome intern! You worked so hard and now...many of the fruits you helped plant are producing...32 lbs of Elderberry from the planting by the Red House! The orchard you helped plant officially has your name. We call it the "May & Kristin Orchard". In 2014 we added even more apples, pears and small fruits to that block too. Come for a visit next item you are in town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO happy to hear this Cindy! I always think of how much FUN I had and how MUCH I learned that summer, from field to fork! I was anxious to hear if what I planted would produce but it just goes to show that sometimes the best way is to literally just go for it... "get your hands dirty" and see what comes from it :)

      Delete